About the Blog …
The blog is based on my visit to Poland in September 2023.
Type of vacation …
Father-Daughter trip covering Wroclaw, Gdansk, Warsaw, Krakow Etc.
Country Counter: Countries/territories I have visited so far …
Travel Tips: Tips based on my travels so far …
What I liked best …
(1) Spectacular Old Towns, especially Krakow.
(2) Train network.
What I did not like …
Cuisine, though unique, is unfortunately not my favorite 🙂
Location in the World map …
Some interesting tidbits about Poland …
- 5th most populous nation in European Union.
- Famous Polish people: (1) Marie Curie (Radioactivity) (2) Pope John Paul II (3) Iga Swiatek (Tennis)
- Flag: ½ White and ½ Red.
- There is a small Russian province between Poland and Lithuania (Kaliningrad).
- North: Baltic Sea. South: Czech Republic + Slovak Republic. West: Germany. East: Lithuania/Kaliningrad + Belarus + Ukraine.
- Saw quite a few Ukrainian refugees in Poland.
- Poland has 15 UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- The Castle of the Teutonic Order in Malbork is the largest castle in the world, by land area.
- Wieliczka Salt Mine, near Krakow, is 800+ years old.
- It is believed that Vodka originated in Poland.
- Poland has ancient forests, desert (Just to North of Krakow), wetlands, mountains, beaches Etc.
- Warsaw was completely destroyed during WWII.
Largest City: Warsaw (1.8M people)
GDP: 750B US$
Ethnicity: 98% Polish
Religion: 88% Christianity
Currency: Polish Zloty (PLN) (1 USD == 4.05 PLN) (1 PLN == 20.34 INR)
National Animal: Snow Leopard
My initial impressions:
(1) The country is very pretty, especially the Old Towns.
(2) Lot of people speak English, especially in the cities.